Monday, November 15, 2010

Interpretive Fiction or Escapist Fiction

Interpretive Literature or Escapist Fiction -- which should be studied in the English classroom?  Today is your chance to express your thoughts.  We have looked at two novels now -- one a modern classic and the other... modern.  Which type of novel should we be studying?  Which type of novel do students get the most from?  Is there any merit to the idea of "cultural literacy"?  You be the judge.
Escapist Fiction is what I prefer compared to Interpretive Fiction. Escapist fiction focuses on stories that help the mind escape from everyday thoughts by immersing them into exotic situations or activities. Where as, interpretive fiction refers to parable or fables which usually is a short story that conveys a moral lesson by using fictitious narrative to illustrate one or more practical truths. Reading escapist fiction relieves my headaches and stress which is caused due to everyday problems in my life. While reading escapist fiction I am no longer in my own world instead I feel like I'm in another world, relieved and relaxed from all problems.

An example of Escapist Fiction that I read in English is Leslie's Journal by Allan Stratton. The novel is about a teenage girl, Leslie who's life is a mess

No comments:

Post a Comment